Since its foundation in 1875, the Department of Engineering at Cambridge has grown to become the largest integrated engineering department in the UK with 132 faculty, 195 contract research staff and research fellows, nearly 600 research students, and over 1000 undergraduates. The Department consists of six divisions, which represent core strengths. The Whittle laboratory is part of the energy, fluid dynamics and turbomachinery division. It was opened in 1973 by Sir Frank Whittle and is one of the world's leading gas turbine labs.
UCAM contributes to the development of IPC and the measurement with intrusive measurement technique.